Ganyuan' Story in St Andrews

Ganyuan’ Story in St Andrews

I am Ganyuan Xiao, a new Ph.D student in Westwood’s group. Because of China Scholarship Council and University of St Andrews Scholarships, I am grateful to have a chance to start amazing scientific adventure here. Now I’d like to share something about the application process I went through. For everyone needs to go on for quite a long time before getting the scholarship, I hope my experience can give you same insight and encouragement.

I contacted Prof. Nick Westwood in Sept. 2016 and indicated that I wanted to join his group. After reviewing my application materials, he said he was glad to work with me to make an application. During my application period, he gave me the greatest help. He is very familiar with the CSC system as he ran the recruitment in St Andrews Chemistry since Sept 2016. If you have any questions about the programme, please feel free to contact Nick! He is ready to help everyone!

I participated in the 2016 International graduate scholarship fair in Chengdu in Oct. 2016, and met Miss Wei Lin, the senior education liaison officer in St Andrews there. She gave me a lot of suggestions and also told me that I should firstly apply to the University of St Andrews. Then, I submitted my online research application form to the University during Christmas. The closing date for the CSC applications to St Andrews is 20th January. Soon after the application closing date, the CSC St Andrews team reviewed the applications and successful candidates received their offer by 15th February 2017. I was so excited to receive the unconditional offer from the postgraduate admission on that day.

The next stage in the process is to apply to the China Scholarship Council. I have submitted all the materials required by CSC and completed the CSC application online before the deadline. There would also be a joint expert interview, and at the same time, I prepared for the interview based on some people’s suggestion. On 14th March, I flew to Beijing for the interview, and it was not so difficult for I was well prepared. At the last day of March, I was very fortunate to recieve the official admission offer from CSC. I was admitted!!! Hard works paid off eventually. I think all of you can make it if carrying on to the end. Cheer up! Looking forwards to seeing all of you in lovely St Andrews next year.

我叫柑媛,是2017届Westwood课题组的Ph.D学生。十分感谢中国国家留学基金委和英国圣安德鲁斯大学合作奖学金项目的支持,让我有机会能来到圣安的化学学院学习。今天我想分享一些我申请的经历。从申请到录取,每个人都有很长的一段路要走,我希望我的经历可以给大家一些启发和鼓励。最重要的是,当你有任何疑虑的时候,一定记得和圣安保持邮件沟通!

我在2016年9月的时候,联系了Westwood教授,向他表明了我想加入他的课题组的意愿。当他仔细评估了我的申请材料后,他也很乐意帮助我申请。回望我整个的申请流程,Westwood教授给了我最大的帮助。因为他负责圣安化学院CSC的招生工作,所有他对整个申请流程特别清楚。所以任何人有任何问题,请直接联系Westwood教授,他很乐意帮助大家。

我参加了2016年在成都举行的国际研究生奖学金信息说明会,并在会场碰到了圣安负责国际学生招生的林薇女士,她给了我很多建议,并告诉我一定要先向圣安提交申请。我在2016年圣诞节期间向圣安提交了网上申请。一定要注意,网申的截至时间是来年的一月二十日。这一阶段结束后,圣安会有专门的团队会对所有的申请进行审核,合格者会在二月十五号之前收到无条件录取信。我很开心就在那一天收到了录取信。请大家注意申请时一定要向圣安提交合格的语言成绩(我当时用的是雅思成绩,但是也可以是托福,或者圣安专门针对这个项目的语言成绩)

下一个阶段是向CSC提交申请。我在截止日期前向CSC提交了所有材料并完成了网申。另外,我得知这个项目还有联合专家面试的环节,与此同时,我开始准备面试。三月14号,我飞往北京面试。因为之前准备很充分,所以面试对我来说并不难。在三月的最后一天,我终于收到了最后的正式录取信。我被接收啦!!!努力总会有回报。希望所有的人都能坚持走到最后。祝大家好运。期待明年能在圣安见到你们!